Lately I have been thinking about life in general, and what it means to me, where I am going with it, the things I want to do etc quite a bit. I am guilty sometimes (well ok, a lot of the time) in getting a little too caught up in my own head and not stopping to smell the roses.
Life is a journey. It has a beginning and it has an end. In between there is beautiful scenery, and there are big potholes.
Too many of us are so caught up and preoccupied in our own heads, that we only notice the potholes. I’ll give you an example... how many times have you been driving a car and been so preoccupied that you can’t actually remember travelling the past 100km. Did you notice the scenery out the window? Did you notice the beauty of the rolling hills of green grass? No… What about when we hit a pothole? Yep... we sure as hell notice that.
The point I am trying to make here is that most of us have so much amazing things in our lives and we fail to notice it purely because we choose not to pay attention to it.
I have to remind myself to get out of my head and my preoccupations and to appreciate what I have in life. Lately I have been doing this more and more. I have started to notice little things again, things that make me appreciate how damned lucky I really am. I may not be wealthy, but I am rich.
So, I thought I would put up a list of the things that I have been noticing and reminding myself of lately. Things that make me feel incredibly lucky and appreciative of what I do have...
- How beautiful my darling wife is... how good she is to me... how supportive she is to me
- My 15 & 16 year old boys are bloody funny… they make me laugh and I love ‘em to death
- I can’t go mad at my 3 year old and keep a straight face because he is a stubborn little ratbag... gee he makes me laugh
- My dog Charlie talks to me every morning when I open the door.
- I live in the best Street in the world... there’s no views to speak of, but I am 10 minutes walk from the beach. I have never before lived in a street where a Sunday afternoon beer while watering the front often turns into a gathering of a dozen people or more, standing on out the front sharing stories.
- The fantastic feeling of catching and riding a wave
- Watching the sun coming up over the ocean between Bar Beach and Merewether is an awesome way to start the day
- I have the greatest friends in the world. There is no backstabbing or jealousy in my circle of friends. They are all truly happy for you when you have a win
- Having a small yard means I don’t have to mow much!
- I have a roof over my head, and not only that, we have a new kitchen!
- I live in a free country, I get to choose what I want to do
- I get to live near one of the best beaches in Australia
- I have the world's best sisters!!
- Spring is almost here...
- I really don’t have any problems at all when I compare my life to other people’s… I love my life.
Have goals. Have desires for where you want to be in your life, what you want to do, how you want to live. But don’t be so focussed on the end result that you forget to notice and enjoy the journey. Your life is the journey.
Have an awesome weekend guys!!